The sad fact of that matter is that drunk driving is a real problem in the United States. At Superior Towing, we’ve unfortunately seen the effects of countless drunk driving accidents, and recently the problem hit very close to home. A cousin of our owner was killed in a drunk driving accident earlier this month. He was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle when it rolled over. He was only 19 years old, and we expect to grieve this very sad loss for years to come.
It’s for this reason that we wanted to take the opportunity to remind the community of the dangers of drunk driving. To avoid driving while intoxicated, you may need emergency towing in Greeley, CO. This is always a smart decision to avoid getting behind the wheel in an impaired state. Don’t risk your safety and the safety of others. Here are some facts about how dangerous drunk driving can be:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 10,265 Americans died in 2015 due to alcohol-impaired driving crashes. This accounts for almost one third of all traffic deaths in the country, and amounts to one person killed every hour of every day.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) also reported that 290,000 people were injured in drunk driving accidents. That means someone is injured by a drunk driver once every two minutes.
- More than 111 million self-reported driving in an impaired state during the past year. That’s almost one third of the U.S. population. In fact, the average drunk driver reports having driven impaired 80 times before they’re arrested.
- A rising trend is being under the effects of marijuana use while driving, with 13 percent of drivers admitting to having done this.
- About 1.1 million people were arrested for DUI in 2015, the CDC reported. This is much more prevalent among men than women, with three times the number of men being charged with this crime. One out of every three drunk driving arrests is for a repeat offender.
- Among teens, 4,300 were killed in vehicles due to the use of drugs and alcohol, according to MADD.
- The highest drunk driving rate is among 26-29 year olds, according to MADD. They reported that this rate is 20 percent.
- During the week, fatal crashes are the result of drug or alcohol use 16 percent of the time. That number skyrockets to almost 30 percent during the weekends, according to MADD. Nighttime vs. daytime driving has a similar breakdown.
The stats show just how deadly drunk driving can be. It’s important to express to your family that drunk driving under any circumstances is extremely dangerous. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
If you’re looking for services in emergency towing in Greeley, CO, turn to Superior Towing. We serve northeastern Colorado and southern Wyoming with everything from professional towing services to vehicle accident recovery. Our fast and affordable service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure that you always have a way home. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Categorised in: Emergency Towing
This post was written by Writer