When to Call a Towing Company

September 16, 2017 2:25 am Published by 22 Comments

When your car breaks down, you don’t want to spend time trying to research towing companies in Greeley, CO on your phone. At this point, you’re already in such a vulnerable position that you don’t necessarily have time to do your due diligence and might very well end up paying too much for a tow.

As counterintuitive as it may seem, you’re really much better off finding a towing company long before you need one. Consider it a part of being prepared for all possibilities. With that in mind, here are some options for making sure you have a towing company before you’re in an emergency situation.

If you have premium insurance

Almost everyone will need a tow at some point. The good news is that, if you have premium insurance, you’re likely covered for roadside assistance and towing if something happens to your car. If you do have towing services included in your insurance, it’s important that you know the towing companies your insurance works with before you have an issue. Call your insurance company or visit their website, and research the towing companies they work with and get an idea of the company that seems most reputable and experienced. If you don’t know ahead of time which towing company to use, you leave yourself susceptible to getting ripped off, or getting bad service.

Comparing AAA and roadside assistance

If you only have liability insurance, you need to enroll in AAA or another roadside assistance program. These programs are very affordable––usually costing somewhere between $6 and $13 a month, a pittance when you consider the hundreds of dollars a tow truck can set you back. And these programs offer far more than just towing services. If your insurance doesn’t offer roadside assistance, there’s no reason not to sign up for a roadside assistance service. It’s good sense, and will absolutely save you money in the long run.

If you break down and didn’t figure out your towing company ahead of time…

If you’re broken down, give you insurance’s emergency line a call (even if you don’t have towing services as part of your insurance) and ask them about affordable tow trucks in the area. Your insurance company is a trusted provider of this type of information. Make sure that you get a solid price from your towing company before you let them hook you up and tow you off so you are not hit with additional charges. Also, make sure you know exactly where you’re headed before you’re towed away. Ideally you want them to tow you home or to a garage, but if you don’t confirm this first, they may tow you to their own yard, and then charge you with storage fees. Watch out for this.

Don’t wait to call a towing company until your car breaks down

As with any service, you’re going to be happier receiving a tow from a company you know and have a relationship with. Don’t wait until you break down to call a towing company—call now. Feel out different companies to get an idea of their quality and trustworthiness. This way if, heaven forbid, you do have an unforeseen breakdown, your tow driver will be a comfort and not an additional cause for stress.

If you’re looking for a tow company you can trust, call us at Superior Towing, one of the most reputable towing companies in Greeley, CO. We understand our customers are often in their most stressed-out and vulnerable states, and we do everything we can to make a bad situation better for them. We’re trusted by individuals and insurance companies all across Greeley because we do things the right way.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

22 Comments

• Deb Pearl says:

My friend recently got into a car accident and she didn’t know what to do and wasn’t prepared. It is hard to be prepared for anything like that, but I wanted to try and look up some information so I can kind of know what to do in that situation. That is great to know that you can call your insurance company and see if they have any tow trucks in the area. That is a great option in case I can’t find a towing company I would like to use. Thanks for the tips!

• Thanks for your comment about how you should already be looking for a towing company before you actually need it. I like how you said that it’s good to know you have hired a trustworthy cone before you actually have an emergency. My sister is considering looking into towing services in the event of an accident.

• I do agree, almost everyone will need a tow at some point. It’s just a matter of being prepared for such occasions. I’ll be sure to have a tow number ready. Thanks for the helpful article!

• Steele Honda says:

I appreciate your advice to get a solid price from a towing company before I let them hook me up and tow you off so I am not hit with additional charges. My brother has just bought a very old vehicle, and I am pretty sure he will break down very soon. I believe he will appreciate this piece of advice then!

• Thanks for going over some situations when you should get a towing company. I’m glad that you mentioned near the end that you should call the company before you need them, so that you can learn more about their business and the kind of services they offer. Not only that, but it seems like doing this can save a lot of time in the future because you’ll know exactly who you should call in the case of an emergency.

• Sam Solo says:

It’s nice to know that premium insurance generally covers roadside services like towing. I seem to get in an accident once every 5 years, and I would love to have a towing company there just in case I need them. I’ll have to consider your towing tips in the future.

• Gary Puntman says:

I agree that almost everyone will need a tow at some point. I’ve needed a few in the past. It really is so important to make sure you have towing covered by your insurance, luckily I did when I needed a tow. This is especially important to consider if you have an older or less reliable car. I also agree that research will help you find the right insurance coverage.

• I like that you reminded everyone to use a towing company that works with your insurance. This can save you a lot when you are stuck in a pinch. This is the first thing I would look for when stranded on the road, because I have no idea how to work on cars.

• Millie Hue says:

I never knew that calling a towing company once you felt that something is wrong with your car is better than waiting for it to break down. I remember when my dad was travelling somewhere, and his Honda CR-V broke down. The location where the car broke down was really far from the city. He felt something was off, but he didn’t call a professional immediately for help and that caused a lot of stress. I am going to have my own car soon, and these tips could save me when I experience problems with my vehicle in the future. Thanks!

• I appreciate how you suggest researching a towing company before you ever experience an emergency. My car has been having some issues lately, so this is something I’ll take into consideration. I think I would feel a lot more comfortable using a tow service if I’ve taken the right amount of time to research their reviews and experience before needing their services.

• Amanda Drew says:

Thanks for pointing out that you should feel out different towing services before you break down so that you can know which ones are trustworthy and high quality. My car is on its last legs, but I’m going to keep driving it until it completely breaks down. Still, I think that I’ll take your advice and find a towing service sooner rather than later.

• Jenna Hunter says:

I appreciate your comments on how premium insurance covers towing so you wouldn’t have to worry about it if something were to happen to your car. I drive a used car, so this is always an option when I am on longer trips. I think that I should find a good towing company that I can rely on and always call if I have an emergency.

• Burt Silver says:

I like what you said about contacting towing services ahead of time before something wrong happens to your car. My wife and I have a car that isn’t very reliable at the moment, but we’re wanting to take a road trip up north. Perhaps we should contact a towing service like you suggested and get a feel for different companies and the services they offer.

• Thank you for sharing practical tips and steps when to best call a towing company. This could be a pain the neck, but things will not be as stressful as it seems if you’re prepared for the possible worse things to come. I like that you shared the idea to call the insurance company to look for a best priced tow trucks in case your car breaks down and you have no idea of a towing company to assist you. This can make a good contingency plan if unexpected things happen to your car in the middle of the road. I still prefer knowing the best towing service for myself so I know who to call for an emergency toll.

• Hazel Owens says:

Thanks for the advice about checking is a towing company won’t add additional prices after towing. I didn’t think a company would do that when you call for a tow so this is good information to know. I’ll have to look around for good companies before I need my car tow for one reason or another.

• Moira Blythe says:

My car has never broken down, thankfully, but I want to be prepared! I appreciate your advice that we should find which towing companies work with our insurance. We’ll have to look into that so don’t have to worry when the situation arises.

• Joy Butler says:

It’s awesome that this article talked about getting towing services. It really helped when you said that calling your car insurance company for the list of towing services near your place. These insurance companies are the trusted providers of this type of information, so I suggest that we always keep their numbers at all times.

• Burt Silver says:

I really like what you said about enrolling in a roadside assistance program and how it has a small cost per month. That’s a small fee in my mind for having such a great service because you never know when you might end up needing that roadside assistance. It’s wise to have someone there as a backup, just in case you need it.

• Hector Uba says:

I appreciate the information on when to call a towing company, it was very helpful. I agree that you shouldn’t wait till the last second to call a company, it’s better to feel out your options and choose from there. I would imagine sometimes people get stuck in a situation and they end up missing out on a better opportunity.

• I love my car! I have named her “Joy.” I got my car second hand, she is blue and very old. I love travel and me and Joy have journeyed many miles together. I have been worried lately if my car will stop working on me. I haven’t been sure what to do. I appreciated the advice from this article that talks about not waiting to call a towing company until my car breaks down. I was so going to do that! I think I will start calling towing companies as this suggests. I want to be prepared when Joy graduates from this life.

• I really liked you tip to find a towing company before a break down, as it can help you be less stressed and have more time to make sure they are licensed. My uncle drives a semi-truck, but it’s been having problems; he needs it towed, but can’t find a heavy duty towing company. Do you have any tips for that specific situation?

• Last week some friends of mine went on a road trip and experienced some car trouble. They ended up having to call a towing service, and it made me realize that I would have no idea what to do in this situation. I really appreciate the advice to call an insurance agency to ask them about affordable towing services; I trust my insurance agency a lot more than I trust the internet.