Winter in Colorado means one thing: nasty weather. Temperatures can plummet and bad blizzards can roll over the Rocky Mountains at the drop of a hat. If you’re unlucky enough to get caught out on the road during a freak snowstorm, you could be in some serious trouble. Make sure you know what to do in such a situation. Here are some tips from an experienced towing service in Greeley, CO.
Ensure your car is ready for the winter
Prevention is the best medicine for most car-related things. This is especially true from December through February, when chances for accidents and car troubles are higher. There are several steps to take before you hit the road at all this winter.
- Put on snow tires
- Check your tire pressure
- Change your oil
- Scrape your windshield and windows before driving
- Examine your belts and hoses for wear and tear
- Have the correct antifreeze mixture in your car
Ensure you’re ready for the winter
Just as important is ensuring that you yourself are prepared for the emergencies that can arise during the winter months when you’re out on the road. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Prepare your emergency kit: Slide-offs, which are sometimes unavoidable, are commonplace in the winter. If you happen to get stranded this winter, either from car troubles, an accident or a slide-off, you want to be as prepared as possible. Having an emergency kit in this kind of scenario could mean the difference between life and death while you wait for a towing service in Greeley, CO to rescue you and your car. Among other things, your emergency kit should have: road flares to signal cars; a blanket to keep warm; an extra set of clothes, boots and gloves; tire chains for a situation in which you could get yourself out of a ditch; sand or salt to also help free your car from snow; a first aid kit for any injuries; and water to keep yourself hydrated.
- If an emergency happens: Hopefully you’ve followed the previous step and have prepared an emergency kit for your car. Be sure to call 911 as soon as possible, and possibly a towing service to get your car out of the road or ditch. If you happen to get stranded, it’s important that you stay as warm as you can. This means that you should only leave your car when it’s absolutely necessary. While staying warm is key, you’ll have to ignite your road flares to signal other drivers for help. Be sure to put on your extra clothes and blanket so you don’t freeze. After you’ve lit the flares, get back in your car and stay there until help arrives. If you have enough gas, run your engine for 10 minutes each hour you’re stuck. While it seems counter-intuitive, you’ll need to crack at least one of your windows a tiny bit to help ensure your windows don’t freeze over while you’re waiting.
If you find yourself stranded on the side of the road this winter, give Superior Towing a call right away. As the premier towing service in Greeley, CO, we’re open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to rescue you and your car from any hazardous situation.
Categorised in: Towing Service
This post was written by Writer