Being sidelined with an auto that’s not roadworthy isn’t a pleasant experience for anyone and often, it can be dangerous. If it’s the middle of the night or you’re parked just off of a winding road, you could find yourself in peril every time an unsuspecting vehicle comes barreling along. For this reason and many others, it’s advisable to get roadside assistance in Greeley, CO as quickly as possible.
Unfortunately, your moments of peril are a prime opportunity for scam artists and conmen who might want to take advantage of your situation. There are numerous towing scams out there that people fall victim to each and every year, thinking that they’re getting the help they need. In truth, however, they’re further exposing themselves to trouble and headaches.
Take a look at some of the most common scams out there that involve towing and roadside assistance in Greeley, CO and how you can avoid them to both stay safe and get the help you need when your vehicle breaks down on the side of the road:
- If you’re stranded on the side of the road and an unsolicited, unmarked tow truck shows up to offer you help, it’s a good idea not to accept. This seemingly coincidental windfall for you might actually be one of the oldest towing scams in the book! Sure, they might have the capabilities to tow your vehicle, but you have no idea where they’re going to tow it, who they work for or what their rates are! It’s best to call for a reputable tow truck.
- Get a full and honest quote before you let anyone tow your vehicle. One of the oldest scams in the book is to quote someone for towing services and then tack on a number of service charges and fees! Make sure your quote includes the full price of towing, including mileage and fuel, as well as any service charges. And be sure to get it in writing!
- Don’t work with any towing service that doesn’t recognize roadside assistance programs like AAA. Cash-only towing services have their purposes, but when you’re in need of emergency towing and you have a roadside maintenance plan, it’s best to work with a company that will honor that program. Not accepting AAA or another roadside program tends to mean that a towing service isn’t always credentialed or up to industry standard.
- Beware towing services that only tow to a single destination. Many times, these services will only tow to a specific auto body shop, which means you’re at the mercy of any additional fees that might come from that shop or the towing service itself.
- Never, ever let anyone tow away your vehicle without giving you confirmation as to where it’s going or, at the very least, letting you ride along with them. Who knows where they might be towing your vehicle if you’re not there to see where it’s going!
Just because you’re stranded on the side of the road with a vehicle that’s not in top working order doesn’t mean that you have to be vulnerable. Take heed to the tips above so you can avoid scams when it comes to towing and roadside assistance in Greeley, CO.
Categorised in: Towing
This post was written by Writer